Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Monday February Fourteenth

Man, I’m in a poor mood. My master didn't show up today, so I skipped out on the better part of Chi Gung and retreated to my computer, only to find the power flickering on and off seemingly at random (shortly thereafter, Daniel’s mother in law walked in and bothered me about not practicing. I think she was concerned about me, but it was only fifteen minutes, woman!). I’m writing now with pen and paper, and maybe I’ll retype and blog this when I have a chance. Andy told me the master was approached during the festivities and implored, super earnestly, by a family to teach their two kids (or something like that) so he is spending part of his time with them till the 22nd.

Yantai is cold this morning, far colder than yesterday. Instead of going back to sleep after breakfast I warmed up a bit and practiced my form. The master was considerably unhappy last Thursday when I neglected to practice the latest section of it (because I had forgotten the way it went). So, I thought I should make a good showing today. However, he did not appear, and it was for naught. Well, not true, I still benefited from the extra practice.

After training began in earnest (eight thirty) I practiced kicks all morning. It completely wears me out. Everyone is very stiff on Mondays, and I was no exception. My back didn't feel too good, though thankfully it feels well enough at the moment. I posted on Reddit about my back situation (that I desperately want to train, but worry that it will never get better if I continue, and am wondering what to do). Most said I should try not to irritate it, and that I should go get a massage, or a few massages. I ran the idea past the guys here, and they thought it sounded about right. Massages are quality, and of a low price, around here. Bernard mentioned that Daniel has been considering bringing a masseuse/masseur on to come round on the weekends and give massages in our rooms. That sounds positively ideal, but at the rate things move around here I think I’d better see to my own arrangements.

I admit to feeling pretty worn down right now. The pair drills the others are working on look like a blast. I have learnt one, but no one is available to practice it with. I think I better talk to the master next time I see him. He told me I cold talk to him whenever I have a problem, and the sooner I resolve this situation the better. I feel like an idiot about this whole thing, because I knew, leaving Juneau, that there was a chance this exact situation would develop. I ignored it though, the tickets were purchased, I wanted to leave, and I wasn't doing anything at home. God, I feel stupid. Exactly how long before I learn to stop sweeping dust under the rug? I hope this all turns out alright. Tom just stopped in to say all my laundry’s blown off the line, I think I’ll go gather it.

More Written At Night—

Wow, my day really turned around! The master showed up for dinner and said he wanted to meet up at (damnit, my seven key is broken) seven in the rec room. I assumed this was to review my progress, and I wasn't terribly looking forward to it since I was tired. We did review the form, the last bit of which I had a little wrong, (I sorta thought I did) but it was swiftly corrected and he didn't seem to mind. Then he taught me the next section, and after that we worked on three different drills, which are totally awesome. All three are similar, but differ as the sequences progress. Ah, it would probably bore whoever might read this to hear me describe them, but I will do it anyway. The first is a mainly hand oriented drill, but there is a groin kick (with defense) at the end which marks the reversal of attacker and defender. The second one has a leg sweep, and if they dodge the leg sweep a side kick to their back leg, it rocks. And the last one is an arm lock (or break) with an escape/reversal to it. The moves are so clever, right when your arm is straightened and starting to be twisted, you spear it forward, with the body following, sliding right past the opponent’s side. Then, as you begin to pass him, you check his elbow and twist to face him, drawing your formerly captured hand, which is now grabbing him, back to straighten the enemy arm. It’s very slick.

So I had a lot of fun and success tonight, a very welcome change. But wait, there’s more! The shower got fixed, and we’re no longer obliged to stand in widely fluctuating temperatures!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes "sweeping dust under the rug" just means that you will cross that bridge when and if you come to it. Sounds like you are doing just fine dealing with all the new situations. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jen. When we joined the Peace Corps, they told us it would take a full year to get comfortable and know how we felt about things. Many times we were ready to quit (not really, but the thoughts did occur), especially in winter when we had no heat. But all of a sudden everything was just right - after a year. They were right. I don't guess you will be staying a year in China - but who knows? It does sound like you are doing a good job. In this case, time is your friend.

    ReplyDelete