Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Jade Emu

Dave, who owns the Jade Emu, is ridiculously good at pool. There's a little notice on the wall here-- anyone to best him wins a free night's accommodation. Games go on all day, but he never loses. Dave takes two, or three turns in a average game to sink every ball. It's probably no coincidence that his table is the best I've seen in China.

There's a fair sized group here at the Emu. Roni, Phillipe, Jon, Idnn't Mitch, myself, and of course Dave, have spent the day or two playing pool with little interruption. As such, I haven't much news, but it passes the time admirably. Incidentally, "Idn't" is not that persons name, but his nickname. I've totally forgotten the true one if I ever knew it.

The other day I had the most awkward couple of hours. Two fellows I'd been chilling with all day invited me to dinner with their friends. I accepted, but as we collected more and more companions from the city it became apparent that they all knew each other, indeed they were all traveling together, and that they were all German. The only issue was that they spoke in German nearly all night, leaving me with less of a clue than I'd have had with Chinese.

There are so, so many Israeli people in China, and I've figured out why. It's because after the mandatory military stint they're granted a sizable lump sum and encouraged to see the world a bit. They have a huge representation among travelers, at least here. I've met one Frenchman, one Spaniard, one Italian, two Brazilians, five Canadians, only one or two Americans, several Germans, plenty of English people, and a very few northern Europeans, but at least thirty Israelis all told.

Well, bother, I felt I had a lot more to say when I sat down, but it doesn't come to much after all. Relaxing days lie ahead, till the thirteenth, then I fly to Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment