Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Peculiarities

Asia sure has odd notions about western food. I haven’t forgotten the peculiar references to toast I encountered in China— rooted, from all appearances, in some bizarre toast mythos completely unknown in America. All Thai dishes at SR Bungalow have been perfectly satisfactory, if not better, yet this morning confronted me with porridge: porridge in boiling-hot condensed milk. Then, in the evening, the misguided cook ruined his “local seafood spaghetti” with spaghetti-O sauce. It must be said that our “Asian” food is just as far off the mark, but seriously, spagetti-O sauce? From now on it’s Thai food till I hit the west.'

Those spaghetti-O’s left me more queasy than satisfied. So, off I went, looming thunderheads notwithstanding, to secure some milk (milk is pleasantly commonplace in Thailand) snacks, and soap. I also purchased a flimsy umbrella, for the skies burst during the shopping, and a little adapter for my computer. Smaller shops in Thailand, as in China, carry a most convenient array of merchandise. This one sported candy, junk food, cigarettes, all manners of alcohol, a full spectrum of hygiene products (diapers included), power-bars (not the food), other electrical odds and ends, microwave burgers, some deli meats, ponchos, and umbrellas, not to mention items I failed to notice or remember. The lower-48 may stock similar stuff, I haven’t spent much time in their gas stations, so I can’t say, but I’d be mildly surprised.

In China we were on the lookout, if buying sunscreen, to avoid buying the skin-whitening varieties inadvertently. It was never a problem, but there are so, so many whitening products on sale here in Thailand— not just sunscreen. I spent longer than I should have watching Thai television, in un-subbed Thai, a few nights back and the ad segments were dominated by whitening deoderant, whitening body-wash, whitening sunscreen, and just plain old whitening cream. I’d venture they’re as common as weight loss ads in America (which are non-agents in this country).

The downpour slackened as I sloshed back to the beach, though lightning still flashed in the distance, and I saw my first firefly ever! That alone was worth the storm: a most entertaining insect.

No comments:

Post a Comment