Sunday, May 19, 2013

Shore pine styling


Here's a small shore pine. I grabbed it after very little inspection for three reasons. It had an ok trunk with cool bark, it was growing in an area that actually encouraged roots, and it had a whole lot of foliage.

 

It took me a fair bit of thinking to decide what I wanted to do with this tree. Looking closely, I saw that the biggest horizontal branch was just as big as the ascending trunk, and that it really just looked like the letter T if you took a step back. This was unsatisfactory. It was also very long, with many secondary branches, and many buds, so I took this step to draw it away from the T shape, and condense the form of the tree.

  

It still didn't look right to me. The top left branch was coming out too far. There was also a wonderfully ramified little cluster being hidden inside the crown, and I didn't like the dead branch on top. I saw a nice back branch that I wanted to pull up to be the new apex, while chopping off most of the current one, but that seemed drastic, even though it would look good. In the end I cut off the dead top branch, and used the stump to pull the top left branch up vertically. I pulled the end of that branch down to improve the silhouette, and I spun the tree 180 degrees to make use of the "back" branches.



This is the result, which I am pretty pleased with. It is much improved, but for some reason not yet satisfactory. I will fiddle with it no more until next year: a time I pray it lives to see.

Also, here is the small new planting area I created. This used to be a mound of dirt, run through with salmon berries, but I dug it all apart and made a spot for growing too-small trees.  If you look closely you can see a few tiny ones that I had, for lack of another place, in pots.




1 comment:

  1. Taylor, you have certainly amassed a great amount of knowledge and skill in a short period of time concerning bonsai. Your trees look lovely and I look forward to seeing their progress as time goes on and you are able to shape more and more. Love the new workbench too! Grandpa would be so happy you are developing such an interest in this art.

    ReplyDelete