Thursday, May 16, 2013

New workspace

Until now I've been working and re-potting my trees on a table made of stacked up rope spools and blocks of wood. Trees not currently being worked on were quickly filling up deck space, or being rat-holed around the yard. But, no longer! Yesterday my dad and I built a new bench! Here it is: already home to a few trees.


In frame you can see my ridiculously large and ugly alder. This tree was blown over onto the beach, and I couldn't resist dragging it home. New leaves are opening on the few branches I was able to save, and I think it will pull through, given the tenacity of the alder. For the future I'm envisioning a broom/savannah top on the main trunk, which will be cut where the stump emerges. Hopefully I can find someone to carve that rightmost branch into a person emerging from the tree.


I collected this spruce today. The roots are amazingly cool, just somewhat hidden for now. When I saw this tree int he ground I was planning on eventually cutting just above where there's a mini-spruce growing off the trunk (about half way up). I left more branches above it though, to help it recover from the move and chop. But, it was hideous. So I rashly began styling the upper branches to improve the silhouette for the appreciable duration before I removed the top. However, after doing so I kind of like what I made. Almost makes me want to keep it. But the trunk is perhaps not thick enough to justify that kind of height. We will see.

I wasn't going to wire this tree at all, but I got the wire out for a few other things, and I got carried away. I know it is not recommended to style trees just after they have been collected, but the styling was not drastic, and lets be real, sitka spruce is invincible. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

The other things were putting some initial movement into these two small trees (alder and hemlock).



Which I know, I know, should not be in pots, but I don't have anywhere to put them just now.

Aaaaand, I used some soft rubber, wire, and string, to make a sling for the problem area on my wonderful mountain hemlock:


No comments:

Post a Comment