Monday, July 8, 2013

Dad's Fukien has Flowers!


 I bought this Fukien Tea online, from amazon, for my Dad's birthday. At Christmas he seemed to like my Mom's elm so much, that I thought a tree would be a good gift. Every year the gift ideas get scarcer and scarcer. When it arrived, however, I was disappointed.






This picture was taken several weeks after the tree's arrival. Still with barely any leaves, and portions of foliage turning black, I wondered if I had made a mistake. I bought a Fukien Tea knowing that my Dad would enjoy flowers, and knowing that it was a species capable of surviving indoors. However, I somehow missed the mountains of precautions regarding their delicate temperaments, and their susceptibility to pests.

Still I held out hope. I raked apart the root brick with a fork, planted it into this over-sized pot, and gave it plenty of water. I also added some slow release Bonsai fertilizer pellets, and it came to life! With a little string and wire, it now looks like this:



It's growing lovely little flowers all over, a little hard to see from the picture, and shows no signs of stopping.






No comments:

Post a Comment