Sunday, May 8, 2011

Irritation

Today has been annoying. Little things are adding up. Tom left this morning, I'm the last one left at the camp, it's been raining all day, I forgot to bring in my clean socks so now I don't have any, I woke up at five for the third day in a row, and I had a hassle contacting my hotel (Five different numbers were listed online, all on different sites, none of which worked. Well, one worked, but they hung up on me, twice, as soon as I started talking. I called the booking service and the hangups were the hotel. They sorted it all out, at least they said they did). I'm sticking with it though, because the place has many positive reviews, and it's right next to the Qingdao train and bus stations.

Additionally, I've had to fight with my train booking service. Initially I chose them because they allow payment through paypal, but turns out they only do so if you print off, sign, and fax/scan an "I will pay what I said I'd pay" agreement. Which I wouldn't care about if I had a printer, fax machine, or scanner, but I don't. I assumed this would be no trouble and went to get a Western-union account. But after struggling with their site for way too long (I've never been to a more sluggish, bloated, horrible portal), I was informed, without explanation, that an online transfer could not be completed, but that if I would kindly deposit cash at one of their physical locations that would be alright. However, that will not be all right at all, since the ticket service requires online payment. I'm sure it will all work out, but I am not happy.

The cat at least is doing great. She's gotten over hating me and never wants to stop playing. Last night I figured I'd let her sleep with me, but she was more interested in chewing ears and swatting my nose than actual sleep, so I had to confine her again. Still haven't settled her fate, which is making me apprehensive.

On the up side I do have a reservation at the hotel, and I do have a reservation for the train (although that won't come to anything if I don't send them some money quickly). Worst case scenario I end up in Qingdao without a train ticket and have to wait a few days, which would totally suck, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Edit: Western-union is the pits, never use their services.

The ticket service people are responsive and helpful, so it seems paypal will be fine even without the special form, since I am both the payer and the traveler, and because my paypal account is verified.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can't believe you're going to Yangshuo! It's just an amazing place. You will be in a location to see the rice terraces when they are green, enjoy the Li River and the ghostly karst mountains, and you must go see the outdoor show Impression Sangie Liu. The set is the Li River. It's directed by Zhang Yimou, China's most famous director (Farewell My Concubine) and the person who did the opening and closing ceremonies at the Beijing Olympics. There are some stunning caves nearby. You can hire a guide for a day and go via taxi all over the place. It's so inexpensive compared to what you might think. We stayed at a very inexpensive and lovely hotel I think called the Magnolia. I'm so jealous you get to go live in Yangshuo! You'll be close to Viet Nam. It's hot and humid in summer in Yangshuo. But it's in such a wonderful part of the country.

    ReplyDelete