Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Highlights



Friday began the worst of my Yangshuo days. I’d agreed to go along on a bike expedition to nearby Shinpin. Nearby, though, is a relative term. On bikes the average transit time is two and a half to three hours, but because I had the whole day before me, I wanted some exercise, and because the company seemed promising I brushed the details aside. Our ride over was pleasant enough, but things took a sour turn.

We had no sooner arrived in Shinpin central than a flock of hawkers zeroed in trying to sell us bamboo raft rides. We repelled them earnestly and went on our way. I’m fairly accustomed by now to the pushy insistence of all Chinese vendors, but one woman just wouldn’t quit. She followed us, we on our bikes, she on her electric scooter, around town for over half an hour. When we finally stopped to rest so too did the harpy.



I was closer at this point to robbing the woman and pushing her into the river than patronizing the bamboo-raft economy, but to my dismay she managed to entangle over half the group in negotiations. These went on for an hour and a half. I voiced my opinions as strongly as possible without being a total jerk. They were as follows: we never intended to go on a ride at all, any lower price we achieved would still be much higher than zero, the small sums at hand weren’t even worth the time wasted already, we could expect with certainty that, were we to accept, the boat would deposit us in some tourist-trinket-bazaar belonging to this woman’s family, and that, first and foremost, we should refuse it all on principle rather than reward her appalling behavior. In the morning I’d assumed that with six hours total of biking, and probably two or three in Shinpin, I’d have no issue making it back for Vichen’s party at seven. However, it was already two o’clock. We’d whiled away two hours doing nothing but haggle, still needed lunch, and the boat trip was expected to consume two more hours.
Despite my best efforts we lunched at an establishment belonging to none other than Raft-crone’s sister— the food was abysmal and on this everyone agreed. Then came the raft, the unavoidable swindlers, and finally it was time to leave. Noting the time, and seeking solitude to settle my dark humor, I put on all speed, abandoning the others, as soon as I was sure of the way and arrived back around six.




Friday-six-o’clock-Taylor was hot, tired, grumpy, and didn’t much feel like a party. I knew, though, that the girls would be disappointed if I bailed, and I also knew, in the back of my mind, that I could probably cheer myself up in the right environment. I collected Abel, a newly arrived volunteer from France, met Jordan, hooked up with Vichen and her friend, and off we went together.

The party, when we got there, was far larger than I expected. It was held in a vast courtyard, filled at the time with tables, chairs, and people, with a stage (probably 15x50 feet if I had to guess) opposite the gate. Vichen dragged us whiteys to a forward table, crowded with seven or eight girls already (I don’t know why, but the students at their school, and ours too, are predominately female), and another round of introductions began. Drinks were free, snacks were free, and as usual everyone confused Alaska with Las Vegas. I’m not sure how to account for it, but something like ninety percent of Chinese people confuse the two.

“Where are you from?”
“Alaska, it’s in the United States.”
“Oh! You must really like to do gambling!”

We were all warming up to each other when Vichen asked me something disturbing: “Soooo what have you prepared?” I replied that I hadn’t prepared anything and wasn’t aware of a need. “Nooo,” she mock whined, “you promised to do a song or a dance!” Then I remembered. I had grudgingly agreed that I might dance at the party (but certainly never agreed to sing!) the day before. However! I assumed, as anyone would, that I was agreeing to dancing of a normal sort: that is to say with other people, on a dance floor. All the while, though, students had been coming and going from the stage to deliver their own dance/song routines. In a flash I understood, she wanted me to follow suite.



My refusal was adamant. One cannot, without some serious training, improvise a dance routine, especially to music one had never heard before! Neither can one sing a song (At all! Never mind badly!) if one doesn’t remember the entirety of any lyrics. As the entire table joined in cajoling the situation started to get out of hand. So, in order to pacify them, I assented to join a group performance of something like a Chinese incarnation of the Chicken Dance. I’d be among others, and the whole point of the thing was to be silly, so I felt fine about messing it up. Up I went. Down I came. I considered the situation resolved.

Vichen was not appeased. She still demanded a song. Emboldened by success and a few drinks I set about internal browsing for songs, but I was hard put. I’m not a singer, I don't make it a point to memorize lyrics. I'd be surprised to remember words to anything (besides, possibly, a few Disney tunes). In the midst of this process voices called me back to the moment. There was about to be a Taiji performance. “Go! Go!” I was encouraged. Everybody knew already of my interest in Kung Fu. I resisted, not wanting to make a fool of myself amidst people who actually knew the style. However, I was told that only the master really knew Taiji, and everybody else up there was simply about to try keeping up with him. That, I thought, I could handle. Up I went again.



What followed was a miserable example, on my part, of Taiji, but it was nevertheless a brilliant success. Nobody else could keep up with the master, he performed the form very rapidly to music, and they left the stage to us. Thanks to my flexibility, martial arts exposure, and to the fact that I was deep in “the Zone” I kept up with him nearly perfectly through everything from cloud hands, to spinning crescents, to a tornado kick dropping to a low, low one-foot stance (which I’d never seen before but accomplished anyway, and flowing Taiji aesthetics: feats that garnered cheers, a first among firsts for me. Of course I made mistakes, but I was, for lack of other words, on fire. I glossed over the rough parts with anything I could smoothly match a transition to for a moment, and I don’t think the audience could tell the difference. We closed the form and I left the stage in extreme exhilaration, ascending for the rest of the night to mini-celebrity status— the recipient of many a congratulation, compliment, and request for pictures. I won’t forget that night any time soon, but I have a souvenir just in case: a scroll with “Dragon” on it that the host scrawled and presented to me.

We stayed at the party until it broke up before heading out to eat with the girls, and that’s all I care to write for the moment. It was an awesome time though, truly awesome.



I've also gained the ability to do the "lotus" sitting position without warming up. I'm pretty exciting. It's the ideal seated position, because you have three points of contact with the ground and you can sit perfectly straight with no effort.

5 comments:

  1. WHOA! TAYLOR PARTY ANIMAL-WAY TO GO! Sounds like a fun (and frustrating) day with a successful end! And you can do the Lotus too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first comment a couple of days ago didn't post. So I forget what I said - except it's so fun to read what you are doing and to have been at those exact places! Moon Hill is ok but no rush. The vendors were VERY aggressive and in fact, we got blackballed because we wouldn't pay the raft price and then no one would bargain for us, so we walked back from Moon Hill is awful heat and humidity. Do be sure to go see Impression Sanjou Lee (or whatever it is called). Worth every penny. The set is the Li River. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are my notes (hope they fit). Eat at the Pure Lotus Vegetarian Restaurant!

    Day 17 and 18 – April 29 and 30 – Yangshuo: We had arranged to take a taxi to Yanhshuo this morning. Our driver was very accommodating and he stopped when we motioned to him that we wanted to take pictures. Once he realized how interested we were in water buffalo and rice paddies, he picked a stop of his own where we could actually walk out amongst the paddies, watch the farmers and buffalo, and of course take pictures.

    There are two harvests of rice. First the paddies are plowed, then flooded, then the seedlings, which have been growing, are transplanted into the paddies. This is hard on the back. The traditional coolie hats we all know are used in this part of the country for shade and because rain runs off them – and it rains lots. At a certain point the rice is cut with a scythe, then what is left is plowed under and it starts again. We wanted to see the terraced paddies but this is not the time of year they are green and they were a long way so we didn’t pursue it.

    The driver took us straight to the Magnolia Hotel which Carrie had reserved. It was spacious and clean and inexpensive - $35 a night! At that rate, Mark and I got two rooms so I had a reprieve for two nights from snoring and earplugs. After checking in we went down to the riverside and explored the bazaar. These are aggressive vendors. Every step we heard “Lady, lady,” “hello, hello.” I don’t ever want to hear those words again. It got ridiculous. For example, I was looking at a cricket cage that I wanted to buy but not at that moment. I never even gave a price but the vendor thought I should pay 50 yuan (which was too much) but she actually followed me! And later on saw me again and ran after me, “Lady, lady, 50, 50.” I wanted to deck her. This was not an effective sales technique! I did buy quite a bit through and finished up several things I had in mind. One was a feng shui compass, which I did buy and will never ever be able to understand, but it is totally cool looking. And complex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment part two.

    We ate dinner at a restaurant overlooking the river and got ready for the big show – The Impression of Sanjie Liu. The famous Chinese director Zhang Yimou put this show together some years ago to illustrate the life of the ethnic minorities in this part of China – the Dong, Miao, Luo, and Malipo Yi and Yao. The theater set is the Li River with the Karst mountains in the background. Jimmy had arranged tickets for us and a driver to take us and return us to the hotel, so we were set. We had Presidential tickets – we sat in the highest box for the most panoramic view, were given binoculars, beverages and snacks. When we left, the costumed ushers bowed to us. We felt very presidential, but we didn’t give anyone a back rub.

    I’m not sure how to describe the show. Sanjie Liu meets a man whom she marries. This involves gliding over the lake in boats and singing traditional, haunting songs. (We bought the DVD and the CD.) Over a hundred fishermen on bamboo rafts with lights glide in and out and raise red cloth as waves. Farmers come to the waterside with their water buffalo. Villagers wash clothes and enact the life of a village. The moon glides to the middle of the lake with an ethereal dancer on it. Children in native costume sing and dance. Lines of women dance and then change their clothes having on nothing but flesh-colored body suits in between and it is beautiful. Fishermen with cormorants go by on the lake. Various platforms appear on the lake with performers. Two hundred local villagers are the actors and they are precision perfect. There are 600 cast members overall. All the performers walk slowly on a zig-zag path through the lake with costumes that are all lights. It’s mesmerizing. And then they flip a switch and the black and white lights, almost skeleton-like, glow golden. The mountains are illuminated at different times in different ways.

    This show was worth the price of the Presidential ticket and worth the trip to Yangshuo. We will have to have a DVD watching party because there is no way to adequately describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comment last part>
    So – moving on to April 30. We did some more shopping in the morning. We found by accident a wonderful store selling the textiles of the minority populations. The owner goes into the villages and buys ceremonial and daily clothing that has been used but is no longer as life changes. He sells them in his shop and part of the money goes back to the population in the form of school supplies. We had seen this clothing in the Shanghai museum and it was just gorgeous, beautiful, and also sad that the tribes are giving it up, but no one wants to do the tedious embroidery anymore or live the old way. Understandably. The owner of this shop has a little museum of his own upstairs and the garments are just overwhelmingly lovely and intricate.

    We went to a Beer Fish restaurant for lunch. Carrie had found it in a guide book. Well, I must say that this was the second bad meal of the trip. No, it was a horrible meal. We ordered beer duck – I mean, how bad could that be? And pork with bamboo shoots. When the duck came, so unappetizing, we all stared at it for a while until Carrie got brave and took some. She optimistically said it wasn’t bad, so we ate some pork, which we optimistically said wasn’t bad, but then we all decided it was all bad. Meanwhile, a big family sat down next to us and were picking their fish out of the tank. That’s what happens in most restaurants – when you order fish, you choose your fish. All of a sudden I noticed that a fish had escaped the net and was on the ground not too far from our table. That did it. I left in a flash telling Mark and Carrie I’d be at the Pure Lotus Vegetarian Restaurant next to our hotel. By the time Mark and Carrie got there, I had about five or six magnificent dishes from taro root to corn to almond something or other, all beautifully prepared and delicious. None of it was alive.

    I so wanted to finish this on the airplane, but my computer battery supply is now in the red, so I will finish at home. More adventures to come!

    ReplyDelete