Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Laishan Town



Today, Bernard and I went to get the results from yesterday’s tests. We took the bus to Jusco, a shopping center and foreigner hub, and then a taxi to the hospital. We were early, so Bernard showed me around the side streets, “this is China,” I was told. Backwater corner shops, old men smoking on the steps, vendors gambling in their idle moments, and a geological lineage of bicycle technology covered the streets. Once again I left my camera at home, but it hardly matters now. Bernard left his papers with me (we are both in perfect condition) and went to see his girlfriend. As for me, I went back to Jusco and caught the number 53 bus back to camp. Well, I actually overshot camp and had to walk back a long ways through a district called Laishan Town. I didn't mind though, the route back was simple and I enjoyed the independence. After today I feel confident going out and coming back unscathed, alone, which is awesome. It isn’t much, I only know how to make to Jusco and back, but the Ludong Market is only a short walk from there, as are many other things. Starting today I can do my own shopping, go sightseeing, and pictures will be far easier to plan for.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Son, Sounds like fun to me! Find some old smokers to show you around--they'd probably love it. I'm so glad that you're able to do what you're doing now. Remember the New Yorker cartoon: old guy on the park bench says to young guy, "Yes, there is a golden age. And you're living in it." I'm very proud of you. Talk to you soon. Dad

    ReplyDelete