Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Settling In



I've yet to rest well since arriving in Lijiang. Laughter, light, conversation-- these normally pleasant things are my unwelcome, yet so far unavoidable, roommates come the small hours of night. I can only hope to adapt, or buy some earplugs.

My encounter with Lao Loa (which is a bit odd to say, I suppose, since I see him every day) is driving me to improve my Go game. The existence of superior players has never escaped me, but I hadn't met one in the flesh before. He's instructing me, after a fashion, at odd hours in the day. His style is peculiar. In matters of life and death, sheer reading moves ahead, I'm actually and clearly, the more capable player. However, Lao has such an advanced grasp of exactly which area of the board needs attention that he crushes me routinely.

Life here is indeed relaxed, but I haven't ventured much into the city. Honestly I've been too tired to think of going out. The sleep dilemma had better resolve before long. Getting up early is fine with me, going to bed early is fine with me, but when people talk and laugh not ten feet from my window till one or two in the morning . . . well that's not fine.



I made doughnuts this morning, with no measurements, no cinnamon, and no butter. They were a hit with our Israeli guests, and also with James (son of the owners), I wasn't entirely satisfied. The common sugar here is such a large grain that it wouldn't adhere to the doughnuts. They tasted alright, only a bit plain. I think the solution will be melting sugar on the stove for dipping. Then, if I can get my hands on any, I can sprinkle spice over the top. Chocolate is a possibility too, but might not be economical here.

James is studying English, summer vacation though it is, and I've been helping a bit. The study materials are atrocious though, they've clearly never passed under any native Anglophone eyes. Despite this his speaking ability is rather high, but he can't seem to stop using "true" for every situation that calls for "correct," or "right." Example: James brings me some coffee, "Is it true?"

2 comments:

  1. Taylor, Having trouble with comment link. Try Skyping me. , Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor, Having trouble with comment link. Try Skyping me. , Dad

    ReplyDelete